Our experience in managing investigations, handling cautioned interviews and defending prosecutions enables us to work with most regulators including:
- Environment Agency
- Police — financial crime units and SOCA
- Information Commissioner
- (GLA) Gangmasters Licence Authority
- Local Authority — Trading Standards and Environmental Health Officers
- BIS — Companies House and DTI prosecutions
- CMA / FCA – Competition and Markets Authority/Financial Conduct Authority
- DVSA – Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency
- FSA – Food Standards Agency
How we do it
- Proactive and strategic risk planning
- National coverage – no matter where you are, we can provide emergency assistance
- Rapid response practical support and guidance in the event of an issue arising with any regulator — we can help you deal with the authorities and their search or interview process for example: a serious or fatal accident on site and/or a dawn raid by police/SOCA/OFT/GLA and/or an environmental incident such as accidentally polluting the local river and/or one of the management team is arrested and needs urgent help
- We can help you take simple measures so that incident investigation reports can be privileged and confidential
- Advice in connection with requests for interviews under caution, and if appropriate, representation and support in such interviews for businesses and senior office holders
- Representation of the highest calibre in prosecutions from any regulator
Recent Experience – a snapshot of what we do
- Acting for a director in relation to an incident at a construction site where a member of the public received fatal crush injuries walking past the site. We were successful in avoiding any further investigation in respect of gross negligence manslaughter against the director.
- Representing a bank employee in a SOCA investigation when he was accused of fraud. Our intervention saved significant time and cost for the individual, the bank and its insurer.
- Acting for a business and 2 of its senior managers accused of fraud and breaching consumer protection legislation, including advising in connection with a dawn raid on numerous business premises. We were successful in avoiding any prosecution against the senior managers and significantly reduced the impact of the prosecution against the business.
- Representing a national housebuilder under its EL/PL policy in multiple investigations into extended gas flue installations across a number of sites flowing allegations of carbon monoxide poisoning to members of the public.
- Advising a manufacturer under an insurance policy in the joint police and HSE investigation following a fatal accident to a roofing contractor during maintenance works to its warehouse roof; we were successful in avoiding a corporate manslaughter prosecution.