What the helpline provides
Access to advice from the Gateley Plc teams on employment issues or regulatory matters (please contact your broker for further information on the extent of the free* advice provided).
The purpose of the helpline is to provide initial legal guidance (by telephone) on matters which may result in a claim under your D&O or EPL insurance policy.
Independent and confidential guidance is provided by qualified, experienced and specialist solicitors.
It includes a preliminary review by e mail of standard correspondence and documents.
State of the art technology gives each adviser on line access to your matter and any previous advice preventing duplication and ensuring an efficient service.
Available from 8.30am until 5.30pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)
What do you need to provide?
You just need your policy number, the name of your company or organisation and the name of your broker.
If it is an employment matter you also need the name of the employee about whom the query relates.
When would you use the helpline?
At the earliest possible opportunity when a potential problem arises relating to any employment issue, regulatory matter (for example a HSE or criminal investigation) or any other matter which gave rise to a claim against a director or officer (for example misrepresentation).
What sort of issues are covered?
The answer is nearly all of them so please call if in any doubt.
Call the helpline if :
- You have a problem concerning any recruitment process
- You need to know what to do with an employee complaint or grievance
- You have a potential problem with bullying or harassment involving an employee
- You are made aware of an allegation of discrimination involving an employee
- You have a problem with an employee absent from work for any reason including long term sickness
- You believe you may need to give an employee a warning or you are thinking about dismissal
- You receive any sort of Employment Tribunal claim
- You are contacted by ACAS and informed that an employee or former employee is considering
bringing a claim against you in the Employment Tribunal or court
- Your are notified of a concern by any regulator or investigator (including the police, SOCA, the HSE, the EA, local Trading Standards Officer or the European Commission)
- Your business is being raided by the police or any other regulator
- You receive any sort of letter inviting you or your business to an interview under caution
- You receive any sort of summons from the CPS or the Magistrates Court or from any other regulator which requires you or your business to attend the Magistrates Court for a hearing
Exclusions from the helpline:
Detailed consideration of documents/evidence is outside the scope of the helpline as is amending and/or drafting documents.
It does not include guidance on matters involving collective employment law rights (for example, it does not include collective consultation redundancy procedures or TUPE consultation procedures).
The helpline function is not intended to be used as a substitute for comprehensive legal advice and/or representation and the helpline is not intended for use where the insurance policy has triggered.